Saturday 28 June 2008

MAT REMPIT

Young men (most of the time, anyway) riding on motorbikes performing dangerous acts that endanger other road users – yes, they are known as MAT REMPIT in Malaysia. I wonder whether this phenomenon is unique to Malaysia only. I always wonder also, how this MAT REMPIT terminology came into existence… (Any experts from Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka out there???)

Afifah, Atiqah and I went to the Bandar Baru Bangi Post Office this afternoon. I had my car parked under a shady tree in the compound of the post office while I asked Afifah to go into the post office to do some chores. After a while, Atiqah and I saw two MAT REMPITS (sorry for giving the plural form of this noun) doing a dangerous act about 70 m away from where I was. Fortunately that road is not very popular except when they have the Pasar Malam.

In away I was glad that they both fell (ouchhhhh!!!!!) and they looked somewhat hurt. I saw them pushing the motorbike to the side and they were there for maybe 15 minutes. I was sure they hurt themselves quite badly! If Afifah had come out of the post office fast enough, I would definitely go to these two rascals and give them a piece of my mind! Too bad, by the time Afifah got back to the car, the two guys rode away, albeit much slower than they did before the accident (kah…kah…kah…) I pray that they will have some feelings of regret and that there will be lesser MAT REMPITS in Bandar Baru Bangi, well at least lesser by two!

No comments: